Tuesday, 25 November 2008
My journey with MACS
Macarons that is! Some pronounce it as Ma-ca-RAWNs, some say 'Ma-ca-hoons...
Eversince the baking thread (a thread in SMH forum) started the Macarons baking fever, I started to find out more about this tricky little cookie. It requires rather complicated steps to perfect it and famous bakeries are selling each for about S$1.50-S$2.00 each.
The most famous being the famous ones from Pierre Herme & Laduree costing a min. of $2 euro each. So it makes sense to learn some techniques and make them myself :)
My first taste of macarons were those from Bakerzin. I bought them to have a feel/taste of the texture before i attempt to bake them. And here's my several attempts before I finally got them right, and I am hooked!
*the most impt aspect of succcessful macs is the presence of the 'feet' expects call them. Thats the beauty of Macarons.
My 'virgin' macs:
Chocolate macs using Pierre Herme's recipe

In the ovens - came out total failure! Chewy like gums and no feet! This entire batch went down the chute! sob sob...

2nd attempt: Pink macs, batter 'resting' for skin to form:

hahaha another failed batch, but i added buttercream just for photo's sake. Like almond cookies

After this, i had 2 more failed attempts, no mood to take any pictures to proof until....
this 5th attempt:
This time I used the Italian meringue method. It is said that using this cooked egg whites method will make the meringue more stable.
Batter waiting for skin to form - i used 2 days old egg whites

finally can see FEET! Pong pong and huat huat in the oven.I was estatic when I saw the 'feet' appearing.

Close up view of the macs shell

Plain macs with nutella filling - too lazy to make any propose filling

This batch of lilac colour macs, succeeded with feet, but dunno why i didn't take pics of the completed ones. This is a shot of the macs when in the oven:

This batch also using Italian meringue recipe. Works well, but the 'dome' not there.

This was baked the same day as the above macs, but totally different texture and look, i think i used lessed egg whites for this. Looks more like a miniature hamburger.

These are my latest attempt. I tried another recipe posted by a fellow SMH mummy. It's easier than the italian meringue method and works much better too. Like the taste , nt as sweet as the previous batches i made. I added stronger colours for the coming Xmas season mood! *LOL
All puffing up nicely in the oven. The feet got so high that i was shocked. But after they were being removed from the oven, they do shrink a little and look more proportionate. Love this batch to bits.
Rose flavoured (with crushed rose petals)


Green tea flavour - this batch gave me a little problem, the feet became 'skirt'.

Close-up views of the macs




YUMS!!!!!
Packed and ready to go:
Eversince the baking thread (a thread in SMH forum) started the Macarons baking fever, I started to find out more about this tricky little cookie. It requires rather complicated steps to perfect it and famous bakeries are selling each for about S$1.50-S$2.00 each.
The most famous being the famous ones from Pierre Herme & Laduree costing a min. of $2 euro each. So it makes sense to learn some techniques and make them myself :)
My first taste of macarons were those from Bakerzin. I bought them to have a feel/taste of the texture before i attempt to bake them. And here's my several attempts before I finally got them right, and I am hooked!
*the most impt aspect of succcessful macs is the presence of the 'feet' expects call them. Thats the beauty of Macarons.
My 'virgin' macs:
Chocolate macs using Pierre Herme's recipe
In the ovens - came out total failure! Chewy like gums and no feet! This entire batch went down the chute! sob sob...
2nd attempt: Pink macs, batter 'resting' for skin to form:
hahaha another failed batch, but i added buttercream just for photo's sake. Like almond cookies
After this, i had 2 more failed attempts, no mood to take any pictures to proof until....
this 5th attempt:
This time I used the Italian meringue method. It is said that using this cooked egg whites method will make the meringue more stable.
Batter waiting for skin to form - i used 2 days old egg whites
finally can see FEET! Pong pong and huat huat in the oven.I was estatic when I saw the 'feet' appearing.
Close up view of the macs shell
Plain macs with nutella filling - too lazy to make any propose filling
This batch of lilac colour macs, succeeded with feet, but dunno why i didn't take pics of the completed ones. This is a shot of the macs when in the oven:

This batch also using Italian meringue recipe. Works well, but the 'dome' not there.

This was baked the same day as the above macs, but totally different texture and look, i think i used lessed egg whites for this. Looks more like a miniature hamburger.

These are my latest attempt. I tried another recipe posted by a fellow SMH mummy. It's easier than the italian meringue method and works much better too. Like the taste , nt as sweet as the previous batches i made. I added stronger colours for the coming Xmas season mood! *LOL
All puffing up nicely in the oven. The feet got so high that i was shocked. But after they were being removed from the oven, they do shrink a little and look more proportionate. Love this batch to bits.
Rose flavoured (with crushed rose petals)
Green tea flavour - this batch gave me a little problem, the feet became 'skirt'.
Close-up views of the macs




YUMS!!!!!
Packed and ready to go:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
- S@L
- A mother to 2 kiddos and a man. Indulging in my own world of creativity with my little clothing business. Loves sewing, cooking, crafting and shopping. Read about my ups and downs in life and see the world thru my very eyes.
Feedjit
Labels
My Blogger Frens
- Blurbelle - Sweet Angel Chloe
- Breastfeeding Mummies
- Cactusnah - Eagan
- Catherine's Jovan
- Cindy - Baby Travis
- Elaine's Blog - Ethan Swee
- Evelyn - Journey Into Parenthood
- Fenni - Aurora Glory-Anne
- Fenni - Glacier
- Geneveive - Joshua
- Gillian - Javier
- Gloomybear - Arielle
- Grace - Baby Ashlyn
- Grace's Eliza
- Irin - R&R Twins' Mummy
- Joelle- Seth Sara
- K@ye's Claire
- Kelley- Reflections of you & me
- Kittybride's Chloe
- Langlao's Ashlee
- Lazykat's Zee Yann
- Lilian - Krissa's Precious Moments
- Mashmallow- Our Footprints
- May - Prince Ervin
- Michelle's Keira
- Pax- Matthew & Joanne
- Plim - Bella & Bevis
- Poochi's Hazel
- Starfruit - Rae
- Tinkabel - Baby Matthias
- Ueno's Leroy
- Weishy's Hayley
- YY - Teng Little Muscle Man
0 comments: