Tuesday, 19 April 2011
Maid or helper?
A Fren called and asked me what I use to address my domestic maid when I talk about her? Maid or helper?
Without hesitation, I said 'maid'. And what's wrong with that? In fact I'm quite turned off by people who uses the term helper (like as though it sounds more respectful) but treat them like dirt.
At least I treat my maid with fairness and I dun call her names. It's distasteful and frightening when people call their maid names like imbecile, stupid etc etc... Talking abt upbringing... Tsk tsk...
And The one FAQ I get from friends is "why do I need a maid when my son and girl are in school the entire day?" and My standard answer to them is that I need someone to do the housechores. And my top priority is for her to keep the house clean n neat as well as cook simple meals. Simple n clear cut. And then I'll get questions like "oh wouldn't your maid be damn free?"
With puzzled thoughts running through my mind... Does one expect that with one salary, she can get a super multi-tasker maid with almost motherly responsibilities rolled into one? Ermm yes... I think I know of someone who expects that from her maid.
She expects her maid to discipline her son, read to him, cook , feed him and calls her stupid or imbecile when she falls short of her expectations. I mean, isn't that too much she is asking? Might as well get the son to call the maid mum? That to me is really a sad n stressful work place for the poor maid.
Without hesitation, I said 'maid'. And what's wrong with that? In fact I'm quite turned off by people who uses the term helper (like as though it sounds more respectful) but treat them like dirt.
At least I treat my maid with fairness and I dun call her names. It's distasteful and frightening when people call their maid names like imbecile, stupid etc etc... Talking abt upbringing... Tsk tsk...
And The one FAQ I get from friends is "why do I need a maid when my son and girl are in school the entire day?" and My standard answer to them is that I need someone to do the housechores. And my top priority is for her to keep the house clean n neat as well as cook simple meals. Simple n clear cut. And then I'll get questions like "oh wouldn't your maid be damn free?"
With puzzled thoughts running through my mind... Does one expect that with one salary, she can get a super multi-tasker maid with almost motherly responsibilities rolled into one? Ermm yes... I think I know of someone who expects that from her maid.
She expects her maid to discipline her son, read to him, cook , feed him and calls her stupid or imbecile when she falls short of her expectations. I mean, isn't that too much she is asking? Might as well get the son to call the maid mum? That to me is really a sad n stressful work place for the poor maid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
- S@L
- A mother to 2 kiddos and a man. Indulging in my own world of creativity with my little clothing business. Loves sewing, cooking, crafting and shopping. Read about my ups and downs in life and see the world thru my very eyes.
Feedjit
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(86)
-
▼
April
(20)
- Mother's Day came early for me
- Grilled Rosemary Chicken
- Lovely Day
- For the Apathetic Singaporean
- I 'LOVE' Peplum style
- Shoe shop
- Maid or helper?
- Cookbook and recipe
- I love statement rings
- 25 ways to wear a scarf - cool video!
- Caruso Ion Steam Rollers
- Wendy's Fashion Blog
- My daily dose
- Mini Mini craze
- Windchime - Family theme
- This week
- Detox Dieting
- Randoms of the month
- There is something about the Chanel Reissue Chain
- Back on track
-
▼
April
(20)
Labels
My Blogger Frens
- Blurbelle - Sweet Angel Chloe
- Breastfeeding Mummies
- Cactusnah - Eagan
- Catherine's Jovan
- Cindy - Baby Travis
- Elaine's Blog - Ethan Swee
- Evelyn - Journey Into Parenthood
- Fenni - Aurora Glory-Anne
- Fenni - Glacier
- Geneveive - Joshua
- Gillian - Javier
- Gloomybear - Arielle
- Grace - Baby Ashlyn
- Grace's Eliza
- Irin - R&R Twins' Mummy
- Joelle- Seth Sara
- K@ye's Claire
- Kelley- Reflections of you & me
- Kittybride's Chloe
- Langlao's Ashlee
- Lazykat's Zee Yann
- Lilian - Krissa's Precious Moments
- Mashmallow- Our Footprints
- May - Prince Ervin
- Michelle's Keira
- Pax- Matthew & Joanne
- Plim - Bella & Bevis
- Poochi's Hazel
- Starfruit - Rae
- Tinkabel - Baby Matthias
- Ueno's Leroy
- Weishy's Hayley
- YY - Teng Little Muscle Man
0 comments: